Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Communication Barriers

IMG_4941The second Noah wakes up he is talking… speaking his own language.  So, I don’t understand most of the things he says. But some words have many meanings. Bapple is one of his favorites. It is derived from Pineapple.  When we visited Hawaii fresh pineapple was 90% of what he was willing to eat.  He still eats a lot now but it is canned. Bapple turned into meaning any tasty food.  He will even say it while nursing.  To help me navigate the desires of a growing toddler I have worked on teaching him some signs.  For the past 6 months I have been showing him, off and on, the sign for milk.  He finally picked it up last week.  But now, just like bapple, he will sign milk if he wants a drink, food or even a toy.  If I ask specific questions I can usually figure out what he wants. 


The other day at dinner he was in his highchair behind me.  I had given him some food and then  started to eat mine.  When suddenly Noah started screaming.  I turned to see what the matter was and he instantly went quiet and was signing “more.” Smart kid. He knows that if I am not looking at him I can not see but I can still hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment