Why do we consume our lives with consumer items?
I have been thinking a lot, now that our income has been reduced, about what my needs really are. Do I need cable TV, fresh organic produce from Seattle, a new hair cut, or new shoes? How much should I deny myself? should I use the shampoo that is sitting under the bathroom sink that I hate or should I buy the expensive stuff that I like? It is also true that we need to pamper ourselves and others. Where do you draw the line? Are my wants being confused as needs?
I know in my life Brian and I have been very blessed. We have always had our needs met. Brian has always had a job and we have been able to now live on one income, with sacrifices. I know there are very sad stories out there- more then and more with every day. I know I am blessed. So the question comes to me. What am I doing with what I have been blessed with? And more importantly what am I teaching my son is most important in life?
Brian and I have talked about cutting off the TV for many reasons. One day I decided to call and see how much our family could save (seeing as we pay about $200 a month for a package). Here in Juneau we get a package deal --it you want to call it a deal--- of internet, cable and phone. If I get just basic cable I would have to pay more for my internet. This would save me $10 a month. Shocked we continue to look for more options out there. I talked to more mothers to see what they do. At a different provider, who does not offer cable, I could get just internet and phone and save our family $100 a month. So how important is the TV? Sports, News, Shows, Movies?
In all my pondering I have come to this conclusion. It is important not to dwell on money because the pursuit of saving money consumes us just like the pursuit of spending money did. What I need to do is cut out the things in my life that are distracting me from what is most important. Easier said then done.
No comments:
Post a Comment