Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Lucky (working title)

IMG_7651My son avoids death, dismemberment or serious injuries everyday.  Everyday I thank Heavenly Father for providing countless angels to keep him safe.  Here is a photo of him sitting on the table, which he does often but sometimes he doesn’t watch where his body is or where the table is I have yet to find out his train of thought.  Once he sat down and missed the table by half a cheek.  I was loading the dishwasher at the time and miraculously did not have a dish in my hand AND was looking his way to see him start to fall.  I was able to catch him before he hit the ground.  
I feel sometimes that my job is not to raise him but just keep him safe.  He has no fear.  I love that about him.  I wish I could be so fearless.  But some events are not caused by his daredevil ways. 
It gets cold in Alaska.  I bet you didn’t know that.  Anyway, we have electric baseboard heaters and small rooms.  It makes it difficult to find a place to put Noah’s bed.  (He sleeps on a Twin mattress on the floor) Consequently a corner of his mattress touches the heater.  This also adds a gap between the wall and the bed because the bed can not lay flush to the wall.  And here is another issue, Noah rolls around at night, a lot.  This is the main reason he is in a Twin by himself. So, lots of pillows along the walls to keep his cute head from getting hurt. 
In the morning, and during his “I need mom” moments I find these pillows on the floor, in the middle of the bed and on the heater.  I fix the pillows and go back to bed.  One morning while fixing the pillows I notice that there is a little discoloration.  Upon closer examination I find the the pillow is toasted, like a marshmallow.  I check out the other pillows and find the body pillow that has a zipper is not only toasted but has holes burned through. I almost start to cry. There would be no way for me to protect my son while his bed is burning
That instant I move the bed around.  I am thankful for the angels but I can’t depend upon them 24/7. 
IMG_7757   IMG_7758
Here is how is bed is set up now.  His too small clothes are his headboard and his book shelf sits behind that.  Pillows still everywhere but it would take a lot of moving to get it on the heater again.

No comments:

Post a Comment