Every story has its beginning, ours is very special, at least to me.
While attending Utah State University my degree required me to take a math class. Although I could test out of it attendance was mandatory. In that class was a guy who liked to follow me home to study. While he was at my apartment he would expect me to make him lunch and help him understand the lesson. This was due to the fact that our teacher couldn't teach, I knew the material and I could cook. After a few weeks of this I was feeling a little used and annoyed. On the next test I quickly finished the exam and left the cause of my frustration in the class hungry and confused.
While walking home, quite happy, I recognize my Sunday School Teacher a few yards ahead of me. The overwhelming urge to say hello came over me. He responds, but because of the distance I cannot hear him. He waits for me and we proceed to walk to my apartment talking about class, school and what we love about Logan. As he drops me off at my door I get this feeling that I should invite him in for lunch. WAIT!!! I scream to myself. I just left a guy at the top of the hill because he would always expect food. I am not going to do this to myself again. The feeling comes over me again. Invite him in. Again, NO. Yes, he is fun to talk to, YES I like his smile but NO I am not going to feed yet another guy on campus. He proceeds to walk away and I get the feeling again. With regret in my heart I watch him walk away. But I tell myself that it is all for the best.
So, I knew him only as the Sunday School Teacher. I didn't know his name or where he lived. After a little of not so subtle questions to my roommates I found out that his name was Brian. The next weekend was General Conference. I found myself with an extra home baked cheesecake. While driving home I got the feeling to drop off some at Brian's to thank him for the walk home. One small concern, I knew his name but I had no clue where he lived. I did, however, have the Relief Society President's phone number. I quickly called her and ask, "Where does Brian live?" "Which Brian?" she asks back ---Oh, crap there is more than one--- "The one who teaches Sunday School." I say. Well she rattles off his address and phone number from memory. What a good RS President, I think to myself. She has the whole ward roster memorized just 4 weeks into the semester. HA HA HA the joke is on me they were casually dating!!
Not knowing this I go his house to drop off the cheesecake. I am so nervous, not like me at all. I can't look him in the eye, I play with me feet while staring at them -- the conversation is over, I awkwardly hug him and run away.
I kick myself for the rest of the day. I looked so foolish. To my amazement he calls me up that night and asks me out on a date. I am so excited we plan a breakfast for the next morning. When I hang up the phone I start jumping around the house like a crazy person, spinning and screaming. Good thing my roommates were not home.
We have breakfast the next morning and a few more dates. (I won't bore you with a play by play of those) A week after our breakfast date Brian calls me and tells me we need to talk. Ok..... he wants to talk in person. Oh, crap. I am notorious for one week relationships but it is always me that breaks it off. I finally want to date someone longer than one week and now he doesn't want to date me. This really sucks but I guess karma does come around.
So he starts the conversation explaining that he and the RS president have been dating on and off for about a year now. He was up all night talking with her. -- I brace myself for the tears to come-- and ....he would like to date me and no one else. I could breath again. and I was hooked.
A year later we are married in the Bountiful UT temple. Brian finishes school and we find a job in Juneau Alaska. (another cool story I won't go into) We planned to stay for about 6 months to a year. We have now lived here for 6 years this April.
No comments:
Post a Comment